Doncaster Rovers 1 Bournemouth 1

Last updated : 03 January 2005 By Footymad Previewer
Injury-hit Doncaster produced a storming second-half display but had to settle for a point as Bournemouth held out despite having midfielder Brian Stock sent off 19 minutes from time.

Stock was shown the red card for what looked like a bad challenge on Rovers midfield ace John Doolan, but the home side was unable to capitalise on their numerical superiority in a hectic closing spell.

It looked as if the tough festive programme had taken its toll as both sides seemed jaded at the start.

The windy conditions did not help and it took them some time to settle with Bournemouth edging the game with the wind at their backs.

The visitors were unlucky not to take the lead in the 11th minute. Wade Elliott fired home after keeper Stuart Jones parried a 25 yard free-kick from Stock but the effort was disallowed for offside.

Doncaster seldom troubled visiting keeper Neil Moss in the opening period but Jones was in action again, punching away a fierce effort from Neil Young after Jermaine McSporran gave the ball away.

Bournemouth's persistence paid off when they snatched the lead on the stroke of half time when John Spicer headed home unchallenged from close range after latching on to a right wing cross from Elliott.

Doncaster had several players missing through injury but rallied strongly in the second half to put the visitors under sustained pressure.

Paul Green fired just over the top following a 50th minute corner and Doolan was unlucky to see a powerful goal-bound volley blocked three minutes later.

Substitute Gregg Blundell then headed just wide in the 57th minute after latching on to a cross from Simon Johnson.

Doncaster were rewarded for their efforts when Green headed the equaliser from close range following a free-kick from Dave Mulligan in the 69th minute.

Visiting keeper Moss got his hands to the ball and partially saved the effort but could not prevent it trickling over the line.

Stock was dismissed two minutes later but Bournemouth battled well with ten men and denied Rovers chances, although McSporran was not far off the mark in the 80th minute and Johnson was unlucky to see a cracking effort blocked by Marcus Browning seven minutes from time.