Rovers juniors head for prestigious European competition

Last updated : 11 July 2009 By Yargo
The biggest junior competition of its kind in the world, the annual event attracts dozens of teams from all over the globe in various age groups.

Entry is by invitation only and this is the first year that Rovers have been invited.

"I don't know why they chose to ask us, but it is supposed to be a big tournament so we decided to accept the invitation," said youth-team boss Wilson

"It also fits in well with something that we've introduced in the last couple of years and that is getting away for a few days during pre-season.

"We played in a pre-season tournament at Shrewsbury in 2007 and we went away to an outward-bound centre last year."

Rovers, who get their group campaign under way on Monday, will face opposition from a Brazilian side and two Swedish outfits.

Said Wilson: "Obviously I don't know anything about any of the sides in our group, but we are hoping to give a good account of ourselves and hopefully reach the knockout stages at the end of the week.

"We've got an experienced team this season with eight second years - though we will be missing striker Aiden Moore, who is still out with a knee injury he picked up late last season.

"We will obviously miss him but it gives someone else the chance to show what they can do.

"As I say, we'll give it a good go and, whatever happens, it will be a good experience for the lads and builds on what we are trying to achieve here."